HI All. Sunday night here in the Algarve. Just back from the pub. Enjoyed another stellar performance from our boys in red. Full credit to the Finn's, they played well. The pub, full of Canadians, has become hockey house for everyone here.
Yesterday was market day in the Algarve. The Best place to go for everything market is Loule. They have a Gypsy market and a Farmer's market. I took 20 of my closest friends, leading them to the negotiating table. Unfortunately, Johanne the lead negotiator, had to stay behind. The FOOT didn't want to go.
Loule is a small village about 20 minutes from Albufeira. The market draws farmers and buyers from all over the algarve. I have included some pictures for your viewing pleasure. The market was a flurry of activity. The usual fair, fruit, veg, meats and fish. This time we had a bonus of the Chocolate festival.
While this was all interesting, the thing that got my attention was the crowd gathered at the entrance to the market. Men. Lots of them. Dressed in brown. Brown Tweed hat, Brown Tweed jacket, Brownish shirt, Tie, scarf, belt, pants and shoes. Who knew that you could have so many different shades of brown. Each man was dressed in the UPS colours ie. Brown, but somehow they all looked slightly different. There was a clear pattern to their cadence. It wasn't a circle but the crowd did have a regular route. That is everywhere. No purchases made just a healthy conversation. Not a woman in site. I enter the market. Now I see the women. They are working. Market stands are crowded but functional. The men on the other hand are just standing around smoking like chimneys.
Saturday night we took 34 guests to a restaurant and a Fado show. Fado is a traditional Portuguese presentation of folk songs. The group enjoyed themselves.
Golfing with buddies tomorrow. Vila Sol a great parkland track. Looking forward to it.
Cheers. Be Well
Aargh! I am so envious... one of my most favourite places on earth! Your blog is reminding me of my 1988 trip to Portugal and particularly the Algarve, ---bringing back many memories! ...thanks for sharing! (wish I was there....) Kc
ReplyDelete