Can you believe it has been a year this week since we last visited the French Riviera!! It also marks almost as long since I have posted anything related to our travel. No excuses this time. I read somewhere recently that the majority of blogger's stop posting within the first year of writing. I lasted a little better then the average. Hooray for me! Before you go on, I encourage you to read the previous two posts in order to refresh your perspective regarding some of the things I will refer to in the next few updates. For the record I did...very enjoyable. LOL
For those that have been wondering if we simply stopped traveling, let me assure you we have not. Since the leaving the French Riviera, we have been to Portugal twice and Tunisia. As well as a four month tour starting in Montreal, Quebec, heading west through Ontario, Alberta and British Columbia before finishing in Rancho Mirage, California. We visited with many of you that read the blog. It was great to catch up in person. A wonderful summer in Canada!!
We are going back to Portugal in November 2015, so stay tuned for an update regarding our activities later in the year. For now, I aim to share a few stories to get you up to speed, with particular focus on revisiting the top 10 list from last year's visit to the Riviera. You might remember that our 2014 group, provided a list rating the places we explored. I wonder if the group this year will provide similar comments. Time will tell.
It is very strange to be traveling without a special friend this time. I have had an empty feeling since departing LAX some 40 hours ago. So saddened by this loneliness, simply too distraught to sleep throughout the 9+ hour flight to Charles De Gaulle. Too uncomfortable to talk about the difficult decision that has created this vacuum. You know the feeling one gets when something is missing, the anxiousness, the stress, the helpless sensitivity that life has changed forever. Olivier and Natalie, our new friends from Paris, who have opened their home to us during this difficult time, have also been reluctant to bring up the subject. 27 hours after leaving Rancho Mirage, I still had not been able to sleep. Did I make the wrong decision? Olivier, reminds me to look away several times on the journey to their home, knowing the landscape would only amplify a heartfelt reminder of the chasm this accord has created. You see for the first time in two years I have left my GOLF CLUBS at home. LOL I bet you thought it was Johanne I left behind. THAT would never happen! OK, I am finished the kidding around. I just couldn't resist having a little fun.
Johanne and I are spending a few days in Paris before connecting with the group in Cannes. Yesterday, we managed to remain upright until 7.30 local time, which puts us at about the 27-28 hour mark for being awake. In spite of the long day, we had a wonderful lunch overlooking the village of Montmorency, followed by a visit to the Chateau Chantilly. Our hosts introduced us to this Chateau as our residence for the next few days. Life is good. Of course I am kidding...... we did however have a wonderful walk throughout the grounds of this spectacular piece of French history.
Olivier and Natalie are our hosts above. We met these fine people about three hours earlier at the arrivals area of Charles De Gaulle airport. Johanne had many conversations via email with Natalie over the past year, as they worked through the merits of a house exchange for 2016. Through the course of those discussions, we decided to come to Paris, en route to the French Riviera, for a visit. Olivier and Natalie insisted on inviting us to their home as well as picking us up upon our arrival in Paris. Needless to say this is exceptionally generous, given we had never met!
After collecting our luggage we headed for the exit to meet the people behind the email voices , hoping to match our shared photos with real faces. The doors opened, we identified a smile connected to a vigorously waving hand.... it was as if we had been friends for a lifetime. Conversation was warm and engaging immediately! Some English, a lot of French, we filled the air with words for the next 30+ minutes as we made our way to their home. That we can meet and enjoy each other so completely in such a manner, truly gives faith to humanity. Olivier and Natalie showed us their village, entertained us over lunch and then the tour of the aforementioned Chateau. The next two days were marvellous! While our hosts worked during the day, we headed into Paris for a visit, specifically, St. Germain, our favourite area.
Les "Deux Magots", famous cafe where many of the worlds greatest writers could be seen.
Book and picture sellers along the River Seine.
After a day exploring we had the pleasure of enjoying the "chef" talents of our host Natalie and the fabulous wine cellar of Olivier. The soup, Chestnut with Foie Gras and Truffle Oil, Slow roasted lamb and veg, cheese and a 4 part desert was as good as any Michelin starred restaurant.
We had a delightful time with our new friends, but it is time to get to the French Riviera to begin our next adventure. Luggage in hand, we boarded the Train toward Gare du Nord, from where we took the Paris Metro Line 4 to D'enfer-Rochefault, then the Paris Metro 6 to the Orly Airport express train. The Metro is exceptionally easy to use, even with luggage. The Orly train was the only hiccup. The system experienced a complete failure, stranding train after train of anxious commuters rushing to catch flights. Most of them will be late. We were shuffled from the platform to a spot outside awaiting a bus, or hopefully buses, to finish the trip to the airport. They never came. About an hour later the Orly train was rebooted, the crush of people and luggage jamming their way frantically into the waiting train cars. Anther lesson learned....if you take the metro to any airport, give yourself lots of time....we did....
With no further delay we are on our way to Nice Airport! Next post will be Cannes.
Be Well
Sante
No comments:
Post a Comment