Thursday, April 17, 2014

Vino Tino, Vino Blanco, Cava, Xeres.  So much to choose, so little time.   Having bid farewell to the group we were with in Morocco,  Johanne and I are on our own to celebrate our 26th wedding anniversary.  Armed with a basic map and notes from an evening of research in the Michelin guide, we head west toward the Atlantic coast of Andalusia.

After two hours on the road we reach the  village of Tarifa, the southern most point in continental Europe.  Now for a little trivia that will forever make you think of this blog...... Tarifa is credited with being the origin of the word tariff since it was the first port in history to charge merchant vessels a tariff or tax to use the port.  It has been around since the year 700.  While it is not clear when the tax collecting started, you can bet some serious funds have been banked over the years.  The next time you make a purchase, you will never be able to forget that the blog shared this little piece of knowledge.  Go ahead. try, I dare you ...
You are now under my mind control!  HAHAHAHA!

We are just about to arrive in Vejer DE la Frontera.  I am warning you in advance this is all about the food and the wine.  The village is a typical Pueblo Blanco, built on the side of a mountain with a view of the Straight of Gibraltar.  In fact it would have been the perfect spot to watch the battle of Trafalgar since it happened right off this coast.

Upon arrival we parked the car in the public pay area and proceeded to discover the town.  It is small and has the usual churches, roman ruins etc.  All very nice, but we are on the hunt for food.  The Michelin guide indicated that food should be the central theme for this stop.  We settle in at Gamberia Sur in the main square.  The tapas menu looking very interesting indeed. We ordered a very nice Vino Blanco from Bogeda Huerta De Albala, Local, Dry and perfect for the seafood tapas menu to follow.

First up,  Anchovies served on a nacho chip with sweet potato puree and avocado oil on top with tomato corn salad.  This combination is so good you just can't imagine.


The second tapas was a sea bass sashimi with fresh herbs Iberian ham bacon in a lemon and mango butter. It was velvety smooth.  The salty crunchy bacon is a perfect balance.  Not to mention how it made the wine pop.

 The last course was seared tuna with crispy onions, herbs, peppercorns and pan fried potatoes.  Honestly, the best meal we have eaten in a long time. My taste buds are watering as I write about it.  Sorry for the detail I just can't help myself.

 This was our view during this epic lunch.
Stomach satisfied, we head back to the car to leave.  Problem.  The ticket reader will not read our ticket.  We look around......there is no parking attendant.   "Well maybe it is free", I say, "after all we have not been here that long".  We head to the car and proceed down the one way ramp 7 floors down to the exit.  I insert the ticket in the meter, nothing happens.  The machine spits the ticket out. "%&^$#@@$%$" I say.  Johanne says the same "*&^&%$&^%$#@%^&*" in French. What to do?  I back up and wait.  Someone will leave and we will simply follow them out.  Good plan!  20 minutes later no one has left. More French ^%$#$%%^&^&** this time from both of us.  New plan.  I take the lift up to the entry level.  I will get a new ticket.  Trying to look inconspicuous to the customers seated in the cafe across the street, I walk down the ramp. Press the button, nothing.  Not enough weight to trigger the ticket release.
As I turn to leave, I notice that the space between the control arm and the wall might be just wide enough to drive through.  Interesting.  Back to the car with the news.  Johanne suggests that she will try and lift up the security gate and I will drive out.  "let's try it".  She jumps from the car with a renewed spirit.  This will work...demonstrated by her powerful strides toward the arm.  I move the car into position, Johanne grabs hold of the arm and with a mighty tug,  (*(&*&^^%$#%^&&* more FRENCH.  With that it is time for drastic action.  "Johanne, get in the car we are going out the way we came in" says I.  Reluctantly she agrees, absolutely convinced that we will now collide with the car we have been waiting in the last  40 minutes.  Heading down the ramp as we head up in the wrong direction......  Interesting noises ensure as we turn each blind  corner at the top of each ramp.  We make it top the top. We proceed to fold the mirrors in and blast through the narrow gap.  People in the cafe across the street seem impervious to our exit through the entrance.  Did the carpark have video? Are we now fugitives from the Law?  Who cares we are free!  Off to Jerez DE la Frontera.  Home of Sherry.  Shakespeare's character Falstaff speaks about it in detail. We are going to find out what it's all about.  We will also visit the winter home of F1, the Jerez racetrack. Here is a quick clip for you auto buffs of the F3 testing that we got to witness.



Be well

Ciao

No comments:

Post a Comment